Posted February 02, 2017 by Nora Handsher
Love it or hate it, V-Day is right around the corner. While we always appreciate flowers, we’d much prefer skipping town for a weekend romantic getaway. Wether you’re celebrating as lovebirds, friends, or family (why not lean in to all types of love during this holiday?!), we’ve gathered some favorite destinations for a quick, memorable jaunt.
- Korakia Pensione, Palm Springs. If Morocco is on your global destination wish list, but you haven’t found the time to go, start out with a weekend retreat at this Mediterranean escape in the Southern California desert. There’s a reason why Forbes Traveler has named Korakia Pensione one of the “Sexiest Hotels in America.” Book the Moroccan Villa, which was built in the 20’s by Scottish painter Gordon Coutts to recreate his earlier life in Tangiers. Sit pretty by the serene pool, enjoy a massage, and refresh each afternoon with traditional Moroccan tea.
- AutoCamp, Russian River. If you’re looking for an alternative to the wine country weekend, opt for this more budget-friendly find in the redwoods, complete with custom designed Airstreams, luxury canvas tents, and handcrafted Shelton Hut suites. Spend your days exploring the paths of the Russian River Redwood Forest, enjoying an afternoon picnic in the meadow, and roasting marshmallows and drinking wine around the fire.
- Hotel Saint Cecilia, Austin. If you are nostalgic for the 60s and 70s era revolution of rock-and-roll and poetry, this soulful luxury hotel is your spot. Created in the name of the patron saint of music and poetry, this property boasts lush grounds with various suite and bungalow options, a 50-foot lap pool, and a lobby stocked with books and records. Relax on the terrace with a cerveza and lime before heading out to explore the heart of south Austin, just steps away.
- Paws Up, Montana. If you can’t fit in a winter escape, write an I.O.U. and take your weekend trip during the warmer months at this beautiful mountain retreat that defines glamping. Any activity you chose, whether horseback riding, fly fishing, or mountain biking, you’ll do with the unforgettable rustic backdrop of Montana’s majestic mountains.
- Twin Farms, Vermont. If you need to escape the bustling city, stay at this sprawling estate in the beautiful countryside of Vermont. With a wide array of activities available, from skiing to spas and restaurants, there is no shortage of things to do on this enchanting and whimsical property.
- Chicago Athletic Association, Chicago. If architecture and old world charm make you weak in the knees, schedule a night at this historic spot. The restored Athletic Club from the 1890’s is decorated with the nostalgic tones of a different time. But the amenities are anything but old-fashioned. You’ll find bars, gamerooms, and even a Shake Shack, and it’s right in the heart of downtown so you can explore everything The Windy City has to offer.
- Zero George, Charleston. If you are all about the southern charm, pop into this gorgeous restored 1804 property in the heart of the city. With an interior shady courtyard, exceptional restaurant, and top quality rooms, this is the perfect place to stay in this charming city for a weekend.
Korakia Pensione’s desert oasis brings a piece of Morocco to California.
AutoCamp’s Airstream resort offers a new kind of wine country cool.
Hotel Saint Cecilia vibes art, poetry, and Rock + Roll in the heart of Austin.
Take in the mountain air at Montana’s Paws Up resort.
Spend a cozy weekend at the picture perfect Twin Farms resort in Vermont.
Chicago’s Athletic Association is a treat for architecture aficionados.
Zero George is one of the most beautiful grounds in one of America’s most beautiful cities.